My whole life I dreamed of travelling to California. I always imagined that would be where I ended up living and spending the rest of my life. This past weekend, my dream came true. I had a great time and took full advantage of all the touristy things LA had to offer, in just 2.5 short days.
While I did enjoy myself, I think my expectations were too high (what do you expect when you spend 15+ years dreaming of one place??) and certain things about LA let me down. So, I wanted to make a list to help all future LA travelers avoid being let down. Here are a few things you should know about travelling to Los Angeles that you probably wouldn’t know before getting there:
- LA traffic is NOT a myth – It took 2 hours to get from LAX to downtown Los Angeles which should be only a 30 minute ride at most according to my friend.
- Everything is very spread out. Hollywood, Beverly Hills, LA, Santa Monica, etc. If you think you’re getting around without a car, you are in for a rude awakening.
- Public transportation? What’s that?! Sure, they have trains but the trains are only in some areas and don’t connect you to all the places you want to go. Your next option would be to take a bus, in which case, refer to #1.
- It’s actually not that hot. I couldn’t really go swimming and sometimes when I wore shorts I was really cold.
- There aren’t as many palm trees as you would expect!
- Celebrities are not on every corner. I was hoping to at least bump into some paparazzi…but not such luck!
- Hollywood Boulevard is super short. I walked the whole walk of fame in under 20 minutes.
- Rodeo Drive is pretty small as well.
I think everyone should travel and see LA for themselves to form their own opinion. However, read this list over so that you know what to expect. In conclusion, I no longer want to live in LA just because there isn’t as much access to everything as there is here (unless you have a car, and I HATE driving!) But I would like to go back and stay for a little longer maybe sometime in the summer when I can enjoy the heat. Have any of you been to LA? What did you think?